Cannabis is one of the most commonly used illicit drugs in the world.
It is often referred to as a “soft drug”, with some people not classifying it as a drug at all.
Follow the link to watch a very interesting video - Marijuana a second class addiction.
The name ‘Cannabis’ derives from the hemp plant, Cannabis sativa.
The leaves, stems and flowering buds of the plant are dried and cured. It has psychoactive properties when taken.
Cannabis can be consumed in two ways:
- Eaten (ingesting) or
- Smoked (inhaling)
It has many names: Marijuana, Dope, Weed, Dagga, Mary-Jane, Bud, Grass, The Devil’s Lettuce, Ganja and Pot, the list of names is endless.
Why is Weed bad?
Marijuana is a tricky drug mostly because there aren’t too many visible negatives.
- Users don’t feel withdrawal symptoms when they don’t smoke.
- There are no substance cravings.
- There are no documented cases of violent crimes caused by Marijuana use.
- It’s not known for women to prostitute themselves to fund their Marijuana usage.
- Or for people to steal or cheat in order to obtain their next Marijuana fix.
- No one has ever overdosed on Marijuana.
- And it is predominately used by people who live on the calmer side of life.
But then really, why is it so bad?
On the surface Dope appears to be a pretty attractive recreational drug habit however it is far from being an innocent herbal puff.
There are some negative effects that you should be aware of:
Some negative physical effects of Weed
- Long-term users experience balance, co-ordination & delayed reaction times.
- Weight gain due to increase in hunger after smoking referred to as the “munchies” – triggered by the spike of serotonin.
- Headaches & dizziness after or during the high.
- Drowsiness & lack of energy during & after smoking
- The day after getting stoned you may feel tired and slightly delayed; this is a result of a “Dagga hangover”. You won’t be at the top of your game.
- Long-time Dagga smokers often suffer from bronchitis, an inflammation of the respiratory tract.
- Long-term use may cause verbal capacity impairment in speaking and writing.
- Recent research indicates brain shrinkage in some areas due to long term usage effects, with the brain compensating by increasing neural connectivity in other areas.
Mental/emotional effects of Weed?
- Marijuana dependence develops in about 9 to 10% of users.
- Usage is associated with comorbid mental health problems, such as mood and anxiety disorders and depression in many users, who are often unaware of the link between the habit and the emotional effects.
- Long-term use can result in regressive, childlike thinking.
- Reduced capacity for learning and critical thinking in adolescent users.
- A no joy script, blunted affect, life loses its edge and meaning.
- Amotivation syndrome - a psychological condition associated with reduced motivation to participate in social activities, work and achieving personal goals.
- Usage by predisposed individuals has also been linked to the onset of mental conditions such as schizophrenia
Drug Rehab South Africa
The ill effects of Marijuana may be controversial, however irrespective of whether Marijuana is bad for you or not, the fact remains that there are many people out there that struggle with weed dependency to a greater or lesser extent.
These are the people who experience the dark side of dope, whose lives become unmanageable because of this addiction.
Step Away is a rehabilitation centre in Port Elizabeth, we are a place where individuals can take control of their lives, and learn to make better choices.
If you are tired of the substance rut you have found yourself in then please contact us.
We can help.