What is Psycho-Education?
Psycho-education combines principles of emotional psychology and cognitive behavioural counselling.
This type of therapy focuses on issues of both the ego and lack of life skills.
- Incorporating developmental psychology and placing emphasis on the individual’s uniqueness of their development and various factors which could have shaped their outcome.
- Teaches substance abusers essential life skills that can be used throughout the rehabilitation process helping them to avoid relapse and maintain a life of sobriety.
At Step Away Rehabilitation Centre South Africa our daily psycho-education sessions are aimed at:
- Improving communication skills so that you express the feelings that lead you to abuse substances.
- Developing assertiveness so that you can say no to drugs in difficult situations.
- Refining relationship skills so that you can avoid toxic friendships and repair broken relationships caused by addiction.
- Cultivating stress management so you can better handle the stressors that lead to substance abuse.
- Building your self-esteem so that substance dependency does replace your self-worth.
- Enhancing your overall quality of life free from drug abuse.
Our rehabilitation treatment programme approaches the substance dependency problem holistically educating patients and their loved ones about addiction as a disease, helping them to understand why addictive behaviours cannot always be easily managed.
Benefits of using Psycho-education therapy for addiction recovery:
- Increases individual strength and empowerment against substance addiction.
- Helps to remove the negative stigma and shame attached to addiction.
- Develops valuable problem-solving strategies that can be to avoid addiction relapse.
- Increases awareness about addiction risk factors and relapse.
- And helps guide them on how to avoid or cope with relapse stressor situations.
- Explains the reason for detoxification treatment and why medication is so vital to a client’s recovery.
At Step Away addiction treatment South Africa we provide a safe environment, one aimed at helping people make better, healthier and more responsible decisions.
Please contact us for addiction treatment and substance abuse rehabilitation.